38RSSB3 Tire time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
    You have made up your mind but please explain "The Goodyear G114 only come in 215/75/17.5 not what I want" ?
    I want size 235/75/17.5 to help raise the trailer a little higher so it will match the truck when I also will go up in size from factory to keep things level; the Goodyear website only shows the 215/75/17.5 available for that tire other than 16" wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry&Gayle View Post

I want size 235/75/17.5 to help raise the trailer a little higher so it will match the truck when I also will go up in size from factory to keep things level; the Goodyear website only shows the 215/75/17.5 available for that tire other than 16" wheels.
      Just so we are all on the same page, the first three numbers are the width of the tire. The second two numbers are the height of the tire. The 75 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. So if you want a taller tire you should look for a 80 or 85 rating.
      2016 40 KSSB4
      2016 F350 DRW Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by jimmac28 View Post

Just so we are all on the same page, the first three numbers are the width of the tire. The second two numbers are the height of the tire. The 75 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. So if you want a taller tire you should look for a 80 or 85 rating.
        Going from a 215/75/17.5 tire to a 235/75/17.5 will gain some overall height, but it is negligible. The diameter of a 215/75/17.5 is approximately 30.5 inches. The diameter of a 235/75/17.5 is approximately 31.5 inches. This means you will only gain 0.5 inches in overall height on the trailer if upgrading between the two. Even though the tire is an inch taller, your overall height only goes up half an inch because there is only a half an inch more between the hub and the outside of the tire (the radius of the tire).

You will, however gain 2400 lbs of tire weight capacity per axle (assuming single tires on the axle) because the 215/75/17.5 is rated at 4805 lbs per tire and the 235/75/17.5 is rated at 6005 lbs per tire. The axles will be the limiting factor in this equation though, unless you upgrade them as well.

If you really want to gain height, the best way is to add a spacer (assuming you have MorRyde IS), but having extra tire capacity is never a bad thing which ever way you go.
        2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
        2017 Mobile Suites 40KSSB4

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Heiser View Post
          If you really want to gain height, the best way is to add a spacer (assuming you have MorRyde IS), but having extra tire capacity is never a bad thing which ever way you go.
          Thanks Chad.
          2016 40 KSSB4
          2016 F350 DRW Platinum

Comment

I have been studying tires for a long time, I understand sizing specs; I have not found a 17.5 tire in anything larger than a 75 aspect ratio. I want a 1" diameter increase since I will be increasing the truck tires by 1" also and since I am real close to level when hitched and loaded I want to stay the same. I pulled a wheel yesterday to see the wheel width and it's 6.75" so that's good to go with the 235 size plus I have plenty of clearance for the 1/2" on top and 1/2" on each side. I have decided on the Yokohama RY023,1. Recommended by a trucker of 50 years experience that has 20 of them on his hay trailers and before that freight trailer, 2. Made in the USA, 2 locations, 3. Local dealers.
            Sailun, 1. Local dealer is Big O ( previous experience I will never do business with again anywhere), 2. Make in China.
            I will be running Toyo's on the truck
            Some will wonder why I started this since I pretty much decided on Yokohama, sometimes you just don't think of everything so I decided to pick other brains and for that I Thank You.
            I still like your comments

Comment

I finally got the tires replaced but not before blowing a tire on the I-80 in Nevada luckily not much damage only cosmetic. I put the Yokohama's on and I feel more comfortable with the extra weight carrying capacity 6K and 75 mph rated although I don't tow at that speed.
              I also put taller tires on my truck so with the larger tires on both it still sits level, so far pleased with the outcome.

Comment

Being out in NV, where did you get the Yokos?
                2005 36TK3 #1869
                2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

I made it back to So. Cal on my spare, kept my speed down to no more than 65; got the Yokos from Parkhouse Tire in Fontana, CA.

Comment

Thanks, was wondering if the dealer was in N NV.
                    2005 36TK3 #1869
                    2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

i put on the continentals this last summer. looked a saulins . went with 235 75 17.5 low boy trailer tires. so i know the will hold up fore me. more carry weight and a little highth gain, it has a 75 mph . but i never drive over 62, not in a hurry . every day is a holiday . pull with a volvo 660 01 , never slows down.

Comment

Working...
                      X