Towing a 2006 36 TKS with a Reese Goose Box Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing a 2006 36 TKS with a Reese Goose Box Adapter

We're looking at purchasing a 2006 36TKS to tow behind our 2008 Dodge dually. We already have a gooseneck hitch installed for our horse trailer so we're looking for a good option to tow the MS. The local shop recommended against the cheaper 5th wheel couplers but said this new Reese Goose Box looked good. Does anyone have any experience with this on a MS?

Thanks in advance!
    Jim

our truck is set up for a goose neck so we purchased a b&w fifth wheel hitch that is set up to fit in the socket just like the trailer ball. it is a 20k capacity and so far has worked fine for us. we are towing a 36rssb3 which is very similar to the tks3. also, i noticed the reese has a 16k limit and the tks3 will most likely exceed that limit when loaded. ours weighs about 18k. your tongue weight will most likely be over the 3200 lbs.

Comment

That's good to know. The B&W was recommended to us however we have a Curt flip up ball in our truck and it's sealed in with Rhino Liner. They said the B&W wouldn't fit but I'll take another look or see about swapping out the Curt and re-spraying the Bed. I didn't notice the weight limits so thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

I hate to bring it up, but if you are full-timing (which I doubt, considering the horse trailer use), even the B&W is only rated for 18,000 lbs. That said, with a 36-footer and not being full time, you may not even be close to that weight capacity. Probably wouldn't hurt to weigh the trailer with is "stocked" for travel.

Terry
        Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
        2008 Ford F450
        2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

That's good to know. You're correct, we're looking to use the trailer for weekend trips in the Northwest and Canada, Yellowstone, etc. We ended up looking at Mobile Suites since most used rigs looked worn out after 5-6 years and the quality wasn't that great. We've going back/forth between an Airstream and this Mobile Suite unit. I know it's overkill for 3-4 day jaunts but the quality is nice. Too bad DRV doesn't make one of these quality 5ers in a < 30 ft model. Regarding the hitch, we were warned that some gooseneck hitche adapters but excess stress on the 5er frame however the Reese and B&W models claim to avoid that risk.

Comment

here is the hitch i am using.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/b-w-30...th-wheel-hitch

Comment

We were at the factory in July and one of the other couples there were switching thier's from goose neck to 5th wheel. I believe they said the reason was Lippert would not warrenty the frame if pulled with a goose neck. I would check with Lippert to confirm it.

Tom
              Tom & Irene
              2010 MS 36TKSB3 5107
              2011 Chev 3500 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by idahojim View Post
                Regarding the hitch, we were warned that some gooseneck hitche adapters but excess stress on the 5er frame however the Reese and B&W models claim to avoid that risk.
                Look at it as basic leverage... You will be putting more stress on in frame. If the rig weighs 18k, go with an 18k PLUS hitch. Be on the safe side! As for Reese and B&W... they are sales driven! Do you want to buy a bridge or possible some ocean front property. They will tell you anything. INVESTIGATE and gather the DATA, then make the decision

Comment

I tried a gooseneck adapter early on for my '05 unit, and it pulled the kingpin off of the base plate on the pin box. Luckily, I was still in the driveway. The weld on the pin-to-box failed, it was a factory Lippert.
                  Joe
                  2005 36TK3 #1869
                  2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

When I talked to DRV, they said that their recommendation was that a goose neck adapter should not be used. A 4000 lb. weight on a goose neck would be very scary. I hope you contact the factory for their advice.
                    John & Bonnie Mc Clun
                    2008 F-450 King Ranch Dually
                    2011 MS TKSB3 #5793
                    http://drv-owners-manual.com

Comment

Originally posted by idahojim View Post
                      That's good to know. You're correct, we're looking to use the trailer for weekend trips in the Northwest and Canada, Yellowstone, etc. We ended up looking at Mobile Suites since most used rigs looked worn out after 5-6 years and the quality wasn't that great. We've going back/forth between an Airstream and this Mobile Suite unit. I know it's overkill for 3-4 day jaunts but the quality is nice. Too bad DRV doesn't make one of these quality 5ers in a < 30 ft model. Regarding the hitch, we were warned that some gooseneck hitche adapters but excess stress on the 5er frame however the Reese and B&W models claim to avoid that risk.

Jim,

While DRV doesn't make anything smaller than a 32' (some actually 33' long), it still might be worth looking to see if one can find a 32' MS. I don't know too much about Airstream trailers other than they have an excellent reputation, especially among owners and previous owners. I've never looked at one, so I have no idea of the storage space available. However, that wouldn't matter so much if one was only doing weekends. Should one decide to take a long extended trip sometime, the Mobile Suites might be a better choice.

You might even consider buying one used. I doubt that they are close, but there is a 2007 located in Loma Linda, CA. Link here: 2007 Mobile Suites 32TK3

Terry
                      Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
                      2008 Ford F450
                      2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Just FYI, between 2004 -2005, DRV actually made a 31RS3 model that was 32' in length. There is one listed at Wheels RV in Arkansas right now. This was the shortest length DRV ever made in the Mobile Suites line. We looked at one in Indiana at one time but seemed a little cramped in the LR area for our liking. The 32TK3 and the 32RS3 are both actually 33'8" without the ladder.
                        Rick Binns

2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
                        2012 F450 6.7L Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 25K Signature Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Comment

Working...
                        X