2017 Ford Super Duty Bedrail Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Ford Super Duty Bedrail Height

We have been looking at a 2017 Ford F450. Specs show bed rail height to be 58 inches. Our current 2013 F350 is 55.6 inches. We have a 2016 MS 43 Cincinnati (tri-axle) WITHOUT risers. Concerned about clearance over the rails. Has anyone bought a new F450...if so what kind of clearance do you have?
    Ken & Kyle Vonfeldt
    2013 F350DRW, Crew Cab
    2016 Mobile Suites Cincinnati 43, custom order. #7958

Originally posted by kcv50 View Post
    We have been looking at a 2017 Ford F450. Specs show bed rail height to be 58 inches. Our current 2013 F350 is 55.6 inches. We have a 2016 MS 43 Cincinnati (tri-axle) WITHOUT risers. Concerned about clearance over the rails. Has anyone bought a new F450...if so what kind of clearance do you have?
    I was looking at the 2017 F450's, I was going to go with out risers but bought a 2016 F350 they had in stock. MoeandFlo have a 2017 F450 and they installed risers and air bags I know he'll chime in. The bed side clearance is only 1 inch higher than 2016's so you should be ok there, but there is a difference in overall rear height over a F350 as you pointed out 2.5".

Check your axels and make sure they are on the highest setting you might be all right.
    2016 40 KSSB4
    2016 F350 DRW Platinum

Comment

I recommend you go to the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum (www.ford-trucks.com/forums) and check (or ask) there, too. It's a topic that gets tossed around a lot. Look for posts in the 2017 Super Duty section. I think the first threads started popping up in September last year. There's one from a guy new to F450s, and he's pulling a Fullhouse. I think it's here: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14...learances.html

We've got a 2017 F350 4X4 which sits pretty close, if not equal, to the F450. We've raised our hitch (Reese Elite 27k) to it's highest setting and have about 3 to 4 inches at the tailgate where the top of the tailgate is raised to house the rear camera & courtesy light. (looks like a mini spoiler on the truck's tailgate) We need our MS raised about 2 inches for it to ride level. We get that taken care of at MORryde in May. I do know we're taller than a 2015 F450 4X4. We originally pulled with a 2009 F450 4X4 with our (then) hitch (Reese Signature 24.5k) was set in the middle of it's vertical range.

It also appears that the bed rails themselves are taller than those on our 2009 F450. Our old hitch, at it highest setting, was at the top of the 2009's bed rail with the handle clearly above the bed rails. On our 2017 F350, our hitch still sets below the bed rail when set at the highest setting, and the handle is even with the bed rail.

Wrong truck, but I hope it helps. I wish I could give you an exact number, but we've yet to be anywhere level and hitched. David
      David & Donna Driver |2017 F350 | 2011 MS 36RSSB3 w/Vanity Slide (#5642)
      sigpic

Comment

I actually purchased a 2016 F450 after owning a 2013 F350. Both dually, diesel, 4WD. The unloaded bed height and bed rail height on both of these units was the same.

I hitch to a TrailerSaver TSL2BH air hitch and the height of the hitch is not adjustable. However, the top of the hitch is just below the bedrails when unloaded and this allows me to close my toneau cover completely when not in use. I also have airlift air bags and I inflate to 85psi which brings my truck back to level when fully loaded. The trailer adds less than 800 pounds to the front axle.

I pull a 2014 Elite 38RESB3. My weight is just about 22k with 6k on the pin. My unit 6987 DOES have the 2" riser. In my opinion, there are three issues: 1. Level truck. 2. Level tow. 3. Clearance between bottom of rig and bed rails.

So let me provide my opinion on those items.
        1. Level Truck. If you are buying a Ford you must purchase the aftermarket air lift if you want a level truck. They may be offering that as an option now and I know that the Dodge Ram comes with this as a standard feature.

2. Level tow: I cannot be exact on this because this is where bed height and hitch height come into play. In my situation, I had a level tow with my air hitch.

3. Clearance between bed rails and rig. So, as configured above, I was still concerned that I did not have adequate clearance. Most roads do not create a problem but entering and exiting some campgrounds or campsites as well as some rail tressles caused me concern. This was especially true if my approach or exit were not exactly perpendicular. So, I had my kingpin dropped one hole. To do this required torching a new hole in the mounting bracket so that I can maintain five bolts on each side which also maintains my 21k GVWR. I had this done by a welder who also welded on an undercarriage rack to carry my extension ladder. After dropping the kingpin I still look level. I probable need to check my overall height again.

Key heights: 2013 F350 2016 F450 2017 F450
        Bed 35.6 35.4 36.9
        Bed rail 55.6 55.4 58

The old box was 20" tall and the 2017 box is 21.1" tall.

Frankly with these specs I don't see how a 2017 F450 can be used and give you a level tow. I considered myself lucky as I decided not to wait on the 2017 models even though they have some new features that do interest me.

Kind regards:

Moe
        Michael and Katherine (Moe and Flo on the go)
        Full-time since March 2017

2016 F450, DRW, Crew Cab, Goodyear airbags, TrailerSaver TSLB2H hitch
        2014.5 Elite Suites 38RESB3, vanity slide, customized. #6987

Comment

Sorry Mike, my mistake, I thought you bought a 2017 F450. But you bring up some interesting facts, you stated that you have a 6K pin thatís 6000 pounds pin weight right, now thatís heavy.

There is not a pickup out there that will not squat with that weight and very few that can carry it. You also say that you have Airlift bags, but the only Airlift bags I can find are rated at 5000lb, Iím interested in how youíre doing this.

To Kcv50 the 2017 F450 has a different spring pack over the 2016 so itís not the same truck, also the 17 has a different chassis, the truck is 300lb lighter and 2.5 inches higher. Bed rail clearance is all about the hitch and pin you have. All you have to do is subtract an inch to what youíve got, you should be right there. Good luck.
          2016 40 KSSB4
          2016 F350 DRW Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by jimmac28 View Post
            Sorry Mike, my mistake, I thought you bought a 2017 F450. But you bring up some interesting facts, you stated that you have a 6K pin thatís 6000 pounds pin weight right, now thatís heavy.

There is not a pickup out there that will not squat with that weight and very few that can carry it. You also say that you have Airlift bags, but the only Airlift bags I can find are rated at 5000lb, Iím interested in how youíre doing this.

To Kcv50 the 2017 F450 has a different spring pack over the 2016 so itís not the same truck, also the 17 has a different chassis, the truck is 300lb lighter and 2.5 inches higher. Bed rail clearance is all about the hitch and pin you have. All you have to do is subtract an inch to what youíve got, you should be right there. Good luck.
            Jimmax28 I sit corrected. Just pulled my weigh ticket and read rather than going from old man memory.

Truck only
            5560 Steer Axle
            4840 Drive Axle

With RV
            5200 Steer Axle
            9480 Drive Axle
            17860 Trailer Axle
            ==============
            32540 GCW
            4640 pin weight
            22500 trailer weight

I looked at a previous weigh ticket and I confirmed that the rig is unloading the steer axle a bit. Odd!

Best regards:
            Last edited by moeandflo; 04-12-2017, 05:25 PM.
            Michael and Katherine (Moe and Flo on the go)
            Full-time since March 2017

2016 F450, DRW, Crew Cab, Goodyear airbags, TrailerSaver TSLB2H hitch
            2014.5 Elite Suites 38RESB3, vanity slide, customized. #6987

Comment

IMHO, ALL 2017 trucks need the risers. 16 and older Fords do not.
              39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Has anyone purchased a tow body to eliminate the height issue, and if so which one did you get?

Another question does anyone tow behind there suite?

Comment

Originally posted by papaducky View Post
                  Has anyone purchased a tow body to eliminate the height issue, and if so which one did you get?

Another question does anyone tow behind there suite?
                  I tow a two Cruiser Bike MC trailer.
                  39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

I purchased a '17 F450 (sorry, Ron, didn't work out on the Ram, thanks for the help) and put the B&W Puck hitch in adjusted to middle leg height. The pin on my RSSA is as low as it can be adjusted (trailer high as possible)--it was already at that point with the old 450. There is about 6" clearance to the bed rails and the trailer is slightly nose high--maybe an inch. Pulls like a dream.
                    Until I get the hitchup in an odd angle turn/backing situation and see something that is going to hit, won't be worried about the risers. The only concern was clunking with the original hitch placement--cured it by tightening the lock nuts several more turns.
                    I am sure all the new trucks are good at towing and comfort, but I sure like this one so far.
                    2005 36TK3 #1869
                    2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

No problem Wingnut60 as long as you are happy that is all that matters! Well at least you bought the BEST hitch !
                      39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

This is my 3rd one as I have had to upsize them occasionally. There isn't a better made one that I have seen.
                        Ron,
                        I did try the Ram, but neither I nor my wife felt it was right during the test drive. However, the experience with the sales effort at Dave Smith left much to be desired. The Ram was really nice, and a full $8k lower than the KR I ended up with. Dave Smith Motors must have a 1000 Rams on the ground scattered around Kellogg--the Walmart of FCA.
                        Hope our paths cross someday...
                        Joe
                        2005 36TK3 #1869
                        2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

I have a 2017 F450. I had my Ford dealer install spacer blocks on the rear suspension that lowered the bed height 1 1/4". This is a Ford part. I pull a 2015 MS 38RSB3. It has a pin weight of 5100 lb. and does not have the riser. I have a PullRite hitch and it is in top or highest position. It is just 1/2" below my PaceEdwards Bedlocker bed cover. I have 5 1/2" between bed and 5th wheel. I am installing 7500 lb. Air Lift air bags to truck.
                          Dale. Retired from Power Plant
                          Jan. Retired from Teaching
                          2015 MS 38RSB3 #7725
                          2007 3500 Silverado

Comment

Originally posted by Superman View Post
                            I have a 2017 F450. I had my Ford dealer install spacer blocks on the rear suspension that lowered the bed height 1 1/4". This is a Ford part. I pull a 2015 MS 38RSB3. It has a pin weight of 5100 lb. and does not have the riser. I have a PullRite hitch and it is in top or highest position. It is just 1/2" below my PaceEdwards Bedlocker bed cover. I have 5 1/2" between bed and 5th wheel. I am installing 7500 lb. Air Lift air bags to truck.
                            I am curious why with 5K pin you need bags on a 17 450? I would have understood if your truck were a 16 or older.
                            39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

I was surprised myself the first time I hooked up my 5th wheel to my new F450. It squatted the rear of the truck 3" I also am installing a RDS 60 gallon fuel tank/tool box in front of hitch. So I am installing the 7500 lb. Air bags this weekend.
                              Dale. Retired from Power Plant
                              Jan. Retired from Teaching
                              2015 MS 38RSB3 #7725
                              2007 3500 Silverado

Comment

Working...
                              X