Towing 3 axle Suites with a Ram dually

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing 3 axle Suites with a Ram dually

I know from my research that 3 axle Suites are light on the pin percentage wise.....17% or 18% from what I've seen of actual measurement. This results in a pin weight of around 4400# on a 24000# gvw coach. Just wondering how a 3500 dually would work for one of these. I know the numbers say it would work with some margin, but from those of you towing them, what do you think from your experience?

Not really interested in opinions like, "You really need a 4500/5500/class 8 because......." Due to health issues, any of those are out.
    2014 MS 38TKSB3 with Vanity Slide
    2012 Ram 3500 CC Dually, auto, Max Tow with 4.10s and stone cold stock

We have towed our 3-axle MS Atlanta (dry weight of 19,500) for almost 5 years and 29,000 miles, without incident, with our 2012 2WD Ford F350 dually (6.7L turbo diesel, 3.73 axle ratio). The GCWR for our truck is 30,000, so I'm sure we are pushing the envelope, but I have always felt safe and in control and the truck has performed like a trooper.
    2013 Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
    2012 F350 DRW 6.7L Turbocharged Diesel (3.73)

Comment

It will be no issue at all. I would HIGHLY recommend the Factory Rear Air Ride option as it keeps the truck at a nice level height. Besides the ride is improved loaded or not. Well worth the $1,300.

My DOUBLE axle DRV weighs 23K with a pin approaching 6K. I run full rear axle rating with a combined load of 33K and over 35K if towing my Motorcycle trailer behind the RV.

I just towed from SoCal PalmSprings, CA area to NW WA over many passes with ZERO trans or engine temp issues.

I HI|GHLY advise the AISIN MediumDuty transmission and the 4.10's.

With a triple axle your pin will be about 1,000# less than mine.

I also HIGHLY advise the B&W RVK3600 puck hitch.

39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Yours was one I was wondering about. I know you have a two axle trailer, but alson know you are loaded as heavy as I would be with a three axle trailer. Really interested in the Nashville with the front living area. Wondering if that one would be lighter on the pin than the other floorplans?

As heavy as yours is, how does it drive? Does it push the truck at all? I see no advantage to a MD, as these trucks are rated to tow more than a 4500. The advantage of a 5500 is the huge payload that I don't think I would need with a 3 axle trailer.

I've also been thinking about a HDT, but the upkeep scares me. I think in the end I will probably buy a new dually and look for a new "house" when the snow flies. We are now full timing in our Arctic Fox.

Originally posted by byron.bailey View Post
        ] We have towed our 3-axle MS Atlanta (dry weight of 19,500) for almost 5 years and 29,000 miles, without incident, with our 2012 2WD Ford F350 dually (6.7L turbo diesel, 3.73 axle ratio). The GCWR for our truck is 30,000, so I'm sure we are pushing the envelope, but I have always felt safe and in control and the truck has performed like a trooper.
        Thank you! Real world experience means more to me than some internet know-it-all spewing opinions from his keyboard!

Comment

I am being very honest when I say this combo is VERY solid even in high winds hitting us on the side. The handling in every way is solid. I descended Northbound Ashland Pass with trans locked in 3rd running 50 mph with zero brake touches except for a corner that was posted 45mph. I could have ran in 4th at 55 with a few brake touches but why. I have descended miles of 14% grades locked in 2nd at 30-35 mph felt very controlled.

All I know is triple axle RV's have lighter pin and if you are at GVWR your pin will be most likely less than mine.

Be sure to get the AISIN trans, I also really like the LongHorn package. At the end of my trip Tuesday i was a bit tired but not sore at all after being behind the wheel from 4:30AM to 8PM crossing several mountain passes. The LongHorn leather seats are VERY nice!

39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Originally posted by hutchman View Post
            I know from my research that 3 axle Suites are light on the pin percentage wise.....17% or 18% from what I've seen of actual measurement. This results in a pin weight of around 4400# on a 24000# gvw coach. Just wondering how a 3500 dually would work for one of these. I know the numbers say it would work with some margin, but from those of you towing them, what do you think from your experience?

Not really interested in opinions like, "You really need a 4500/5500/class 8 because......." Due to health issues, any of those are out.
            We tow our 3 axle 2016 43' Atlanta with a 2017 Ram 3500 dually. You really need a 4.10 rear axle on the truck though. The 3.73 rear will do the job, but will not leave you much play room with weights. Ours also has the Aisin transmission. Ours tows like a dream. No worries or problems at all.

Joe

Comment

The deed is done. Traded for a new 3500 dually today. First time in my life I've ever bought a "fancy" truck. It is not loaded to the gills but is a Laramie with the Aizin and 4.10s. No air level system though so I guess if it needs to be levevled, I'll install an aftermarket set. Can't wait until Friday when we pick it up. Also closing on the house Friday....it will be a great day!

Comment

The deed is done. Traded for a new 3500 dually today. First time in my life I've ever bought a "fancy" truck. It is not loaded to the gills but is a Laramie with the Aizin and 4.10s. No air level system though so I guess if it needs to be levevled, I'll install an aftermarket set. Can't wait until Friday when we pick it up. Also closing on the house Friday....it will be a great day!
                Good for you! I would wait til you tow to see how the truck sits. Don't think you need to have the truck sit like it does unloaded. A nice level truck is what you want!!!
                39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

I pulled my 38TKS3B with a 2012 dually and a 2015 dually. Neither needed airbags......just have to see how this one is when we get a new "home."

And BTW, it's white. Will look a lot like yours but no 2 tone.

Comment

I pulled my 38TKS3B with a 2012 dually and a 2015 dually. Neither needed airbags......just have to see how this one is when we get a new "home."

And BTW, it's white. Will look a lot like yours but no 2 tone.
                    I like white! My truck is very dirty in pic but not too noticeable.
                    39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

This isn't a Ram but I weighed my new 44 Santa Fe today with my 2017 F-350. Weights are with only 50 gal fresh, black and gray both 1/2 full. Loaded for travel. I weighed on the scale at my SIL feed yard. It is tested and certified yearly since they buy and sell from it.

Truck only 8,720
                      Trailer only 24,700

Loaded weights
                      Steer axle 4,900
                      Drive axle 7,720
                      Total truck 12,620
                      Front trailer axle 7,240
                      Mid trailer axle 6,720
                      Rear trailer axle 6,840
                      Total 33,420
                      Pin weight 3,880

I have pulled this only about 3,000 miles so far, but could not be happier with the handling in all kinds of wind, rain and road conditions. (except snow. Which I avoid at all costs). Some people have expressed concern about the low % of pin weight, but I have had no problems in handling nor performance or ride.
                      I am more than comfortable with handling, pulling, maneuvering and breaking ability and see no reason to move up to a 450 or larger, regardless of what the experts may say. I owned a small trucking co for years and am familiar with how bad class 8 trucks ride. Both loaded an non. Love my 350 class ride.
                      I tested a panic stop at 65 mph 5 different times on a closed circuit track and am comfortable with the results. Both in straight line and curve. Helps when you live with in 1/2 hr drive to the track the Feds use for vehicle and guard rail testing.

Bill

Comment

Truck seems very light, 2wd? No passengers? Fuel tank less then full? I am sure aluminum body helps some also.

That shows a triple axle will have about 15% pin weight.

You are within your ratings. I would take the 350/3500 over 450/4500 anyway for our loads. These 1 ton dually's are NOT the same as a few years ago.
                        39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

No, it's 4wd and full of fuel. Only me in it. You're right about the %, and also the whole 350 deal. Lots of improvements in all of them. Competition!! Ain't it great.!!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                          X