Hauler Beds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hauler Beds

How many of you have a hauler bed? What are pros and cons? I think I would like one but having hard time justifying it not knowing anything about them. Would also probably update my F350 To F450 at the same time, also hard to justify with only 45,000 miles on my 2013 dually and it seems to do a great job with our 40 KSSB4. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks
    Red & Bev
    Full timers since September 2016 2016 F 450 Platinum 6.7 Crew Cab
    2018 Mobile Suites 40 KSSB4

Never owned one. It would add a lot of extra weight. I am more than happy with my 30" front to back bed height "HighwayProducts" tool box.

39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

I have a "hauler bed" of sorts...Freightliner RV hauler. Pros: no issues with bed rails on uneven ground, easy to hitch and disconnect without a tailgate, lots of options for storage. Cons: can't put stuff in the back to haul without strapping down. It's a preference thing. As far as the 350 vs 450....the bigger the brakes and weight of your tow vehicle the better.
      2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suites
      2016 Western Star 5700xe
      Our YouTube Channel

Comment

I have a hauler bed on my F550 and ditto for what ewacowboy said. I dropped the fifth wheel a few times on my bed and if I had a regular bed it would have been toast. As far as dropping the trailer it's a matter of when it will happen, not if it will happen.
        sigpic
        Bob & Judy Schmader
        2006 Elite Suites 36 TK3
        2001 F550 Starhauler
        www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
        IN GOD WE TRUST

Comment

I have a Freightliner Sport Chassis also with having a Ford Dually previously. The best accessory that pick-up had was the step ladder on the trail-gate but it didn't do do thing when I was towing, hooking up or unhooking. Now only time I step on the running-board of the truck is to hook and unhook the RV disconnect brake cable. It that was a problem I could move the connection elsewhere elsewhere.
          On the Ford I had a combined tool/fuel tank in the bed that was hard to access when towing now the fueling is easier and my old body can a reach the tools.
          One advantage to the Ford pickup conversion with the 6.7 engine is your truck is rated 400hp and 800# torque (if I recall exactly). A chassis built up used a different set of engine spec with 350HP (?). I don't recall what GM or Dodge does in what may be considered as a difference private (owner-operator) versus possible commercial operation for warranty purposes.
          Clay FL M2 106
          Clay & Marcie
          2016 MS 38PS3/Dallas Generator and other goodies
          2015 Freightliner M2 106
          No Pets

Comment

As far as dropping your RV. IMHO if you have a B&W or similar type of latching system there is NO reason for dropping your RV. With the latching handle closed and locked and the 1" thick jaws wrapped around the kingpin there is NO way it can fall unless the hitch fails. That is HIGHLY unlikely. BTW I never do a "pull test" I do a Visual test.

39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

I too think it is hard to drop a trailer if you take time to be careful. We have a Sportchassis with a Trailer Saver hitch. When I hook up I check to assure the lock bar is all the way forward and locked, the jaws are completely around the pin and that the trailer is against the plate. If that is done I don't see how you can drop unless the hitch were to some how fail.
              Bobi and Dick
              Mohave Valley, Az

Comment

Originally posted by Dick McKee View Post
                I too think it is hard to drop a trailer if you take time to be careful. We have a Sportchassis with a Trailer Saver hitch. When I hook up I check to assure the lock bar is all the way forward and locked, the jaws are completely around the pin and that the trailer is against the plate. If that is done I don't see how you can drop unless the hitch were to some how fail.
                Yours is the other type similar to mine that if I owned I would never do a pull test.
                39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

Originally posted by bob schmader View Post
                  I dropped the fifth wheel a few times on my bed and if I had a regular bed it would have been toast. As far as dropping the trailer it's a matter of when it will happen, not if it will happen.
                  Say what?!?!?!?

J & J
                  DRV Suites, ES-38RSSA #9679
                  GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW
                  EZGo-txt, ClubCar Precedent

Comment

Yeah, yeah, yeah......just remember that when it happens, remember that I told you so.
                    sigpic
                    Bob & Judy Schmader
                    2006 Elite Suites 36 TK3
                    2001 F550 Starhauler
                    www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
                    IN GOD WE TRUST

Comment

I will never make fun of anyone that has a RV drop on their bed, there are some hitches that seem to be related to doing so!

39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

Originally posted by bob schmader View Post
                        Yeah, yeah, yeah......just remember that when it happens, remember that I told you so.
                        With due respect, I do not accept your rational.
                        Pardon me if anyone perceives that Im making fun of anyone.
                        But imagine the chaos on the highways if every trucker accepted the foregone conclusion that they were going to drop a few trailers, oh well, just make the best of it.
                        Its most unfortunate that anyone should experience the risk or life, limb, or property due to inexperience or other issues beyond their control. It would seem to be prudent though to get to the root of the deficiency and correct it. A single re-occurrence is unacceptable, period.
                        Many decades ago I was employed by a transportation company and stationed at a distribution warehouse. Each shift I would move and spot many van trailers (approx. 20) an evening. Although there may have been some minor backing mishaps over the yrs., an uncoupling was never one of them.

Sorry, but some folks may be better suited to MH travel.
                        J & J

Comment

Years ago, I dropped my previous 5th wheel on my previous truck... in my driveway, was only moving the trailer far enough to access the rear for easier washing/waxing.

Yes lots of damage occurred, not to mention the lingering feeling of "oh crap". Prior to getting the truck repaired, we used the trailer. When a neighbor at our campground spotted my truck, he came over to reminisce. He had dropped his trailer twice.

And just a few weeks ago, I heard that same distinctive crushing sound at a campground. Yup... another pick-up needed to be repaired.

Apparently, dropping the trailer on the pick-up seems to be more common than we would like to believe.... Ever since, I check that jaw's position around that king pin and the safety pin at the locking handle VERY frequently.

J Rayias
                          2012 Mobile Suites 36TKSB4
                          2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually Diesel

Comment

"Pardon me if anyone perceives that Im making fun of anyone."

To be clear I was not directing my comment to you! Just making a statement in general.
                            39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
                              To be clear I was not directing my comment to you! Just making a statement in general.
                              No worries my friend. No offense taken, thanks. Again, my sympathy to anyone who has perhaps witnessed such a catastrophic event. It should not be a normal occurrence. Indeed more safety training should be promoted within the community.
                              On the OP, it would seem that hauler beds do have significant merit for those that spend a great deal of time actually hauling trailers, (off-road, hotshot haulers etc.) I have enjoyed specialty beds in the past. The locking bin access for tools, equipment, straps, chains, and the open deck clearances can be refreshing. As others have noted during those more frequent (for our lifestyle) times of truck use, we find the traditional bed space with a locking roll back tonneau to be advantageous. I can well see your trepidation in the expenditure of a hauler bed. I've noticed that the resale of those particularly equipped (pick-up style) trucks having a somewhat limited appeal. I don't notice the expenditure carrying to the bottom line as an investment as well as some other add on accessories. Best of luck on your quest.

J & J

Comment

Working...
                              X