F 450 & 40 KSSB4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F 450 & 40 KSSB4

Anyone with this combo? 2016 F 450 and 2018 40 KSSB4 without risers. Curious what this setup is going to look like when I hitch up. My pin weight is 4000 lbs. My theory is it will be level based on present 2013 F 350 2WD dually squatted so much I had to add air bags to level it up. Heavier springs on F 450 should compensate for that??? Or if still nose high I understand there are thinner axle blocks available that can lower it a couple inches? Or is it still going to squat so much I do air bags again? I know I really won't know until I actually hock up in a week or so, just trying to get idea of what I may be facing. Thanks for any info you may have.
    Red & Bev
    Full timers since September 2016 2016 F 450 Platinum 6.7 Crew Cab
    2018 Mobile Suites 40 KSSB4

Red, I am not sure the 16 has smaller blocks available but I would sure check. I'm towing with a 16 450 with Classy Chassis hauler bed conversion. I have added air helpers, and run them at 50 psi. some help, I think. Bed clearance may be a problem, but be careful about raising hitch height as that will throw more weight on rear trailer axle. I also assume you have Mor/ryde suspension. If so that can be raised about 1 to 1.5 inches which I would seriously consider. I am also using the trailer Saver TS3 which give a little flexibility on ride height but my sacrifice some travel for road shock. Bridge abutments seem to be the worst jounce.With the trailer off the truck I keep the air bags at 10 psi. Just putting the trailer on raises the pressure to 30 psi so i just bring it up to 50 seems to help the truck ride a little.If it were me, I would put Mor/ryde on the bucket list and have the trailer raised 2"!!
    Bill & Jody
    2018 Cumberland (modified!)
    2016 F450 DRW4X hauler

Comment

Hoping to avoid the 2" trailer risers, but will see how it is when I get hooked up.
      Red & Bev

Comment

Is the 4000 lb pin weight actually measured or is it an estimate. I have a 2017 40KSSB4 and my pin weight is 4520 lbs. I do have a lot of equipment in mine (solar, large battery bank, generator) though.
        2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
        2017 Mobile Suites 40KSSB4

Comment

4000 pin weight is actual by scales. Do not have generator etc.
          Red & Bev

Comment

It will set perfectly fine without the risers. Most likely you will want to add air bags. If your truck was a 17 or newer the RV would need the risers.
            39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
              It will set perfectly fine without the risers. Most likely you will want to add air bags. If your truck was a 17 or newer the RV would need the risers.
              Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. I wasn't ready to get rid of my 2013 F 350 yet, but in a year or two I would have to be looking at 2017 or up to find with low mileage so I would have to do the risers. I found a 2016 with 5,000 miles on it that I will be getting next week so I will know soon how it's going to work out. Fingers crossed!!
              Red & Bev

Comment

Did you get the newer 350?
                2005 36TK3 #1869
                2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Yes, got the 2016 F 450 Tuesday. Reinstalled tool box and 5th wheel yesterday and hooked up. Don't need air bags, but appears may be a little nose high. Hard to really tell in the spot we are in right now, (spot slopes to the rear pretty good) will be pulling out of here Monday and try to find a nice level spot to get a better idea. Apparently the IS suspension can be raised up 1"? Think I might need to do that. Need to look into that some more and see if I can do easily or need to take somewhere and get done.
                  PIC_0233.JPG
                  Red & Bev

Comment

Red & Bev. sure in a nice combination! I know you have read what I posted before. Just got to get it as level as possible!! our 44' was 2" nose low and I had 8100 on front, 6400 center and 4750 rear. I was surprised because I had checked it with a level in the front compartment. Never did verify by measuring though. Also be aware that level may not be best position you really need to have it weighed at some point. Enjoy! You will love the way it pulls. Mine seems to love to find low groove in roadway and keeps dragging me there, sometimes with surprise.
                    Bill & Jody
                    2016 F450 DRW4X hauler

Comment

Gee, glad to see someone posted something as it seems this Forum was dead for about 136 hours.
                      Clay -- Couldn't trust Facebook 9 years ago and Can't trust them now so why join Trouble.
                      Clay & Marcie
                      2016 MS 38PS3/Dallas Generator and other goodies
                      2015 Freightliner M2 106
                      No Pets

Comment

Originally posted by WCodwise View Post
                        Red & Bev. sure in a nice combination! I know you have read what I posted before. Just got to get it as level as possible!! our 44' was 2" nose low and I had 8100 on front, 6400 center and 4750 rear. I was surprised because I had checked it with a level in the front compartment. Never did verify by measuring though. Also be aware that level may not be best position you really need to have it weighed at some point. Enjoy! You will love the way it pulls. Mine seems to love to find low groove in roadway and keeps dragging me there, sometimes with surprise.
                        Thanks. Yes I will be doing a reweigh with new tow vehicle down the road soon when it's convenient.
                        Red & Bev

Comment

Update. Have towed approx 1200 miles from Oklahoma to Florida with the F 450. I am going to add air bags, squatting just a little to much. Also going to need to research the raising of the IS suspension the 1". Seems to be a little nose high and will be worse with leveling up with the air bags I imagine. Yes WCodwise seems the front end wants to "wonder", maybe pulling to much weight off of steer axle by not being level? Brakes are amazingly more powerful, I was expecting improvement but wow what a difference! I think even trailer brakes are improved at the same gain setting. Fuel mileage sucks...(9.3) was expecting to lose some with the 4.30 gears but not this much, 4-5 mpg. Although my 350 did not get the best fuel mileage until I had 20-25,000 miles on it so I can hope it will improve to maybe only a couple less mpg later on. Cruise control seems to be a lot more efficient maintaining downhill speed without downshifting. Less downshifting going up these hills, stayed in 6th on most of them, my 350 (it had 3.73 gears) would have been going down to 5th or even 4th on some of them. Be interesting to see any difference when we get to some "mountains" later this summer.
                          Red & Bev

Comment

Red & Bev, thanks for the update. I believe that the WANDERING is due to the combination of wider front end stance and tire type not weight. Mine does the same even without trailer. I have been told that changing to a truck type "steer" tire on the front will reduce it. And yes, the fuel mileage isn't so good. I run 60-62 and let the downhill hit speed limit. If you have the IS Owners Manual take a look at the "Rubber Shear Spring Deflection". You need a nice level concrete pad with the trailer on the truck. You can compare front to back on each side. You can not compare side to side as off door side is always more loaded than door side. If you do not have the instructions I believe they are available from the Mor/ryde web site (or let me know).
                            Bill & Jody
                            2016 F450 DRW4X hauler

Comment

Thanks Bill. Curious what kind of mileage and how many miles on your truck? I will be looking at the Mor/ryde manual for that 1" adjustment.
                              Red & Bev

Comment

Working...
                              X