Def

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Def

How many of us have had issues with DEF in their trucks. I have 2016 Ram 3500 DRW 44k miles with DEF pump out. How common is it with members.

53k on my '17 450--no problems.
    2005 36TK3 #1869
    2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

We have a 2015 RAM 3500, on our way to Phoenix two years ago our DEF pump failed outside of Albuquerque. It was replaced at Larry Miller Chrysler RAM. I believe (for my year anyway) there was some kind of recall on the DEF pumps. According to the service writer at Larry Miller anyway, he "gave" us somebody else's pump just to get us back on the road. We got really lucky, they had a few in stock at that time but all were spoken for, somebody was nice enough to say "go ahead give it to the dude passing through".

Dan

Comment

No recall on the DEF for our year trucks Dan.

ALWAYS purchase from Truck Stops or where they go thru a lot of it. It supposedly has a 6mo shelf life. Run the tank sown to where the chime to fill comes on.

I purchase form Trucks Stops when traveling and from Walmart otherwise buying PEAK at around $11.75 for 2.5 gallons.

64k ZERO issues 15 RAM DRW.
        39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Your right Ron, the service writer told me "there would probably be a recall soon". I "assumed" there was a recall in place. The guy at Larry Miller said several of the diesels (RAMS) they sold were having pump problems and he had several units "on the shelf" for replacement. NOT sure what that was all about, this was in Albuquerque NM ????????

The message we got on the dash (50 miles east of Albuquerque) was "incorrect DEF detected, service soon". Freaked me out because I had just filled the DEF tank at a Loves truck stop the night before in Amarillo Texas. I even had the receipt from Loves for the DEF purchase in case Larry Miller/Chrysler questioned as to where and what DEF I bought. Bottom line, they changed out the pump, under warranty and I haven't had an issue since.

BTW Ron, I get ALL of my DEF at truck stops, we frequent Loves but we've been in TAs, Pilot and Flying J.

Dan

Comment

I buy all of my def from Walmart vs truck stops. $4-$5 cheaper and the same stuff. Ford approved. I keep hearing the mantra that def has an expiration date. Never saw it on the packing though. Just to entertain myself this morning I went to Walmart, pep boys, flying j, Tucson truck terminal and o'reileys and looked at all the brands they each had. Date of manuf on some, no expiration date on any. And I was correct=Walmart brand cheapest @ $7.88. $7 less than big truck stops. I did not check the "pump" price, just the 2 1/2 gal cans.

Bill

Comment

The last couple of times I've purchased DEF I got it at a regional gas station in the Wisconsin area called Kwik Trip. The Kwik Trips set up like truck stops sell DEF in bulk for $2.79 a gallon. The smaller Kwil Trips sell DEF in the 2.5 gallon jugs. I fill the truck and a couple of 2.5 gallon containers before leaving on trips. It's been working for me.

Dan

Comment

I buy all my DEF at heavily used truck stops, primarily Loves or Flying J. And I had a DEF pump go out on my previous 2015 Chevy. I was able to get it to a dealer who said it could be the pump or "contaminated" DEF. Turns out that it was a bad pump and was covered under warranty.

Comment

Did a little research today and this is what I come up with http://www.rvtechmag.com/tech/90_def.php Seems to know what he is talking about and does say ALL def is the same no matter how much or little you pay for it. At 2 years for expiration very little chance of it going bad and then seems like biggest worry is some water evaporation. Never mentions harming, or being able to, harm pump.

Bill

Comment

Agreed, I've only heard that the urea formulation might* be effected by prolonged exposure to "direct sunlight". Likewise on the evaporation, the "crust" on the filler / filter, spills, etc. can be rinsed away with distilled water. Fortunately, (wood knocking in background) we've had 0 issues with DEF products. We typically purchase the mentioned store brand 2.5 gal. boxes.
                    J & J
                    DRV Suites, ES-38RSSA #9679
                    GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW
                    EZGo-txt, ClubCar Precedent

Comment

Our 2015 GMC Diesel Denali Dually stays parked much more than it runs. It has about 35k miles on it, which comes in surges as we travel. Otherwise, I periodically use it just to keep it limbered and running.

That said, Jan 2018, we were commencing our second day into a cross country trip. DEF was about 80% full. After an overnight freeze, we received a DEF System Service Warning while towing in Virginia. Speed would be limited after 90 miles. Being a remote and unfamiliar location, I reasoned that maybe the DEF had been stored too long due to shelf life issues.

My solution to this dilemma, I added 1.2 gal DEF (topped off the 5.8 gal tank), in order to dilute the old stuff with fresh stuff. After a few miles of towing, the warning was cleared. According my log notes, the offending batch of DEF (which lead to the warning) had been in the tank since Aug 2017.

My conclusion, the on-board DEF had aged out. Ever since, I only add enough DEF satisfy my current needs. I would rather add DEF more frequently than technically necessary, than risk needing to drain my on-board tank to eliminate aged fluids.

Also.... early on with this DEF issue (Sept 2015), I stopped at one those large, noisy, dirty, high volume truck stops for DEF (Love, Paducah, KY). Even after pre-paying, this particular station had some type of limiting devise on the nozzle; which required a corresponding special shaped magnetic devise to release the fluid. As I recall, they "conveniently" had these magnets for sale at around $40. As my wife had gone into the store to pre-pay, she was able to find a "loaner" magnet. This was my very last truck stop purchase of DEF.

Ever since, I only buy DEF at Walmart in 2.5 gal totes. Much like engine oils, there fluids are governed by Federal Specs. Accordingly, it should not matter who actually makes or bottles DEF, so long as the container includes that Federal Spec on the label.

….Before someone decides to challenged this statement, I have not purchased DEF since June 2018. Accordingly, at this point in time, I do not know if the labels still include the Federal Spec disclosure.

And yes... I am due to refresh my on-board DEF before a similar warning is received.

John Rayias
                      2012 Mobile Suites 36TKSB4
                      2015 GMC Denali Diesel Dually

Comment

Originally posted by JRayias View Post
                        Our 2015 GMC Diesel Denali Dually stays parked much more than it runs. It has about 35k miles on it, which comes in surges as we travel. Otherwise, I periodically use it just to keep it limbered and running.

That said, Jan 2018, we were commencing our second day into a cross country trip. DEF was about 80% full. After an overnight freeze, we received a DEF System Service Warning while towing in Virginia. Speed would be limited after 90 miles. Being a remote and unfamiliar location, I reasoned that maybe the DEF had been stored too long due to shelf life issues.

My solution to this dilemma, I added 1.2 gal DEF (topped off the 5.8 gal tank), in order to dilute the old stuff with fresh stuff. After a few miles of towing, the warning was cleared. According my log notes, the offending batch of DEF (which lead to the warning) had been in the tank since Aug 2017.

My conclusion, the on-board DEF had aged out. Ever since, I only add enough DEF satisfy my current needs. I would rather add DEF more frequently than technically necessary, than risk needing to drain my on-board tank to eliminate aged fluids.

Also.... early on with this DEF issue (Sept 2015), I stopped at one those large, noisy, dirty, high volume truck stops for DEF (Love, Paducah, KY). Even after pre-paying, this particular station had some type of limiting devise on the nozzle; which required a corresponding special shaped magnetic devise to release the fluid. As I recall, they "conveniently" had these magnets for sale at around $40. As my wife had gone into the store to pre-pay, she was able to find a "loaner" magnet. This was my very last truck stop purchase of DEF.

Ever since, I only buy DEF at Walmart in 2.5 gal totes. Much like engine oils, there fluids are governed by Federal Specs. Accordingly, it should not matter who actually makes or bottles DEF, so long as the container includes that Federal Spec on the label.

….Before someone decides to challenged this statement, I have not purchased DEF since June 2018. Accordingly, at this point in time, I do not know if the labels still include the Federal Spec disclosure.

And yes... I am due to refresh my on-board DEF before a similar warning is received.

John Rayias
                        2012 Mobile Suites 36TKSB4
                        2015 GMC Denali Diesel Dually

John/All,
                        It may be easier to use your truck more and use the DEF than to replace the DEF in it from non-use. Also, there are other fluids and mechanical devices (engine, axles, trannys, etc...) that need to be run at temperature to stay helathy. My Ram 5500 is 98% used for towing and my wife and I have other vehicles we use as daily drivers. We drive the 5500 once a week to go get either Mex food or catfish that are between 40 and 60 miles round trip. Everything will run better and you won't have to do anything special with your DEF except periodically add to it.

Cheers,
                        Ron
                        2015 Mobile Suites 38RESB3 "Very Suite"
                        2017 Ram 5500Laramie Crew Cab 4X4, 9' CM tow body

Comment

Agreed Ron... last night, I drove the truck 173 miles just for these reasons; when my CRV would have normally been used.

Short runs are not as helpful in overall operation of the truck.

John

Comment

John,
                            copy that. I live a mile off the interstate and have a straight run 20 mile run at 75 MPH. Getting everything up to full operating temps running a highway speeds is the best way to do it. good luck in working out a workable operating routine.

Cheers, Ron
                            2015 Mobile Suites 38RESB3 "Very Suite"
                            2017 Ram 5500Laramie Crew Cab 4X4, 9' CM tow body

Comment

Working...
                            X