• Show
Clear All

• F450 feels light in front end

Specs:
    2008 F450 145k miles DRW 2x4 stock
    2005 DRV 36CK3
    Curt 20k hitch
    Trailair pinbox

My husband and went on our first road trip this last summer and I was terrified the entire 2,000 miles.

We are experienced haulers but this was the first time hauling this fiver with this truck.

I felt like the front end was light/floating/skating and many times felt like saying “let me out I would rather walk the 2,000 miles.” I am not a timid person and have never felt this before even when we hauled a 21k lb tractor and trailer.

The undercarriage was checked before the trip and all good. Fairly new good quality tires that we experimented with different tire pressures - made no difference.

Weight all within acceptable ranges.

My husband did not feel the same bouncing that I did and thinks I’m overreacting. I felt like we were going to die several times and I’m not interested in going on another trip. Is this feeling normal? I just can’t believe that people drive full time feeling this.

I read that the F450 is one of the most stable and secure TV out there. Husband says all mechanical is good and has no ideas. We’ve adjusted the pinbox and the rv is level.

We’ve thought about airbags/suspension but don’t know if that will fix it as we don’t know what the actual issue is.

I don’t care about a smooth ride - I just don’t want to feel like I’m going to die. I realize the F450 suspension is stiff. Wouldn’t that make it less likely to be “floaty”?

I’ve searched online and although there are similar posts out there they’re not exactly like this.

We don’t even know who to ask for help - hence me reaching out here. Any thoughts or am I just not cut out for the RV life?

Thanks if you have any thoughts.

That era of 450 has a very soft suspension. I highly advise changing your shocks to Bilstien's. I also recommend adding air bags and only airing them up so the truck set's level to slightly high in the rear. Do NOT add too much air to the bags.. I used to run 30psi.

Your hitch needs to be placed in the furthest forward position!!!

Air your tires based on LOADED axle weight on the truck. Use the weight/inflation chart for your truck tires. Add 10 psi to the fronts and 5psi to the rears over what the chart says. OVERINFLATION will cause a horrible ride.

Give these a try and report back. I am sure you will have a smile on your face!!!
    39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Thank you Cummins! We are looking into what you have recommended. Appreciate you.

Comment

Originally posted by dawn_winans View Post
        Thank you Cummins! We are looking into what you have recommended. Appreciate you.
        Happy tom help. My 11 DRW RAM was a rough ride on some roads. Went to the Bilstien's and air bags and same roads were nice!!! Wife was VERY happy.
        39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

I can offer up a real life experience on this. I think I am closely aligning with Cummins. We bought a brand new F450 back in 2010 originally to haul a Lance 1191 Camper and pull a 22 ft wakeboard boat. We just bought a 2022 40KSSB4 fifth wheel and got back from our first trip with the F450 towing the b’ig rig. Suspension configuration adjusted for camper, nothing added for 5th wheel.

2010 F450 DRW 4x4 4.30 LS
          70,500 miles currently
          67 gal titan gas tank
          2200 pulrite ISR 24K hitch
          4600 Bilsteins all 4
          air bags. 50 lbs for camper. 15 lbs for fifth wheel
          upper stable loads
          lower stable loads. Thinking about swiveling them out next trip. Don’t think I need them. The truck did not seems to squat as much compared to hauling camper and towing wakeboard boat with 42 in super truss.
          air. Factory recommended. 85 fronts. 75 rears.
          F450 10120 GVW full tank. CAT scale
          2022 MS 40KSSB4 cert dry weight delivered to dealer. Dry 18940. Not weighed yet loaded

Very stable ride. Very happy overall. Our path was up over snoqualimie pass, and then over the mountains again to Yakima, and back. Speeds up, and down, were no doubt not quite as good of performance as a 2022 F450, but taking it easy, the trip was no problem. (My wife was with me, and no concerns as noted with OP). Had to remind my self to start slow at the top of grades before heading down…..

Edit after re-reading OP post . No bouncing feeling or porposing even with Frost heaves and road anomalies thru north bend and over the cascades. The fifth wheel had IS morryde suspension, actually performed way better then with the camper. I don’t remember any front floating feeling at all. Something is amiss.
          Last edited by mike740ski; 05-04-2022, 12:22 AM.
          2010 F450 4x4 4.30 LS
          2010 Lance 1191 Camper
          2022 MS 40KSSB4

Comment

"Factory recommended. 85 fronts. 75 rears"

I am betting lower pressures once loaded and using the weight/inflation chart for your truck tires. Add 10 to front and 5 to rears over what the chart dictates.
            39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

Working...
            X