Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer/Dryer

Hi Folks,

We've been on the road for a year now and using laundromats because we decided to use the space in the closet for storage. I think I'm changing my mind because some of the laundromats we've had to go to have not been the best and some have been soooo expensive. It is unbelieveable what we are spending on washing clothes. Of course, neither Lee nor I can figure out how two people can dirty so many clothes! Sometimes I feel like I wash for a family of five.

Anyway, we just wanted to get advice on whether to buy a stackable unit or an all in one. We've heard tales both directions. I guess if any of you have had a unit that you love or hate, let us know. We're just starting the process of figuring out which way to go.

Looking forward to seeing you all in the Amanas!

Mary
    SuiteDreams
    Lee and Mary Benfield
    SOITC Treasurer & His Treasure
    MS 36 TK3 #1238
    2007 Freightliner M2 Tow Vehicle --"McDreamy"
    Full-timers Since May, 2006

We have a Kenmore stackable and DW loves it. She can wash one load and dry another at the same time. We did the laundromat for the first year on the road and some of the units we more dirty than our cloths.
    Hope this helps.
    Bob
    sigpic
    Bob & Judy Schmader
    2006 Elite Suites 36 TK3
    2001 F550 Starhauler
    www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
    IN GOD WE TRUST

Comment

No contest

Don't go with the all-in-one. We had one and hated it - wrinkled clothes, slow etc. We now have a Sears stackable and love it. We can wash and dry at the same time. It doesn't take nearly so long and the clothes are not wrinkled.

Comment

DT stacks the two units, with the dryer on a shelf on top of the washer. The washer pulls out on a shelf, but some washers come with wheels. Or a front loading wouldn't need to be pulled out to load. Two units, if one breaks down, we'll only need to replace that unit.

Just saw on Foxnews a list of 12 of the germiest places. #1 kitchen sink, #2 airplane bathroom. #3 is load of wet laundry. Yuck, am sure that laundramats are even germier than mine is.
        Vickie & David
        SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
        Alicia - Custom kitchen
        2014 F450 KR 4x4
        Titan 65g tank
        2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input, guys. I had a Kenmore stackable years ago before I met Lee in an apartment and it did work well for me then. I guess I never even thought about it. I think maybe we'll check out Sears.

For those of you who have the stackable is there any room left for storage in the closet?
          SuiteDreams
          Lee and Mary Benfield
          MS 36 TK3 #1238

Comment

Washer/Dryer

We went with stackable front loaders, Whirlpool brand from Lowes. Both washer and dryer cost less than the washer from RV dealers. We also went with 220 Volt dryer, never did like the 110 Volt models, takes to long to dry clothing.

Ours are Whirlpool Compacts, fit in a 24 inch wide space, stack directly on top of each other, and we have had no trouble with them for over two years now. The compact models are different that the RV models, in that compacts have larger tubs, and will wash and dry more items. We wash about every two or three days, and the washer makes a great hamper, but them everything we have is wash and wear, neither of us likes to iron clothes.

Best of luck with what you buy, may it serve you as well as our Whirlpools have us.

Comment

Washer/Dryer

Thanks, We'll look into the Whirlpool stackable compacts too. I like the idea of more washer space. I'm not sure we want to do the 220 yet. I had a stackable years ago from Kenmore that didn't do a bad job of drying things. It was probably somewhat longer but I didn't notice it much.

Are you able to store anything else in your closet. I just hate giving up all that space!!

Mary
              SuiteDreams
              Lee and Mary Benfield
              MS 36 TK3 #1238

Comment

Just another something to consider, get just a washer. When we ordered the Select we didn't want to get the w/d because of the weight, 800 lbs. We've been doing the laundramat thing since March '06 also. 3 weeks ago we went to Lowe's to pick up a new washer for my daughter and there was a scratched and dented Whirlpool compact washer. It was marked down to $350. I have been kinda looking for a compact one, but the ones I saw were $700 to $800. We really like it and will never hear the end of it from Dave & Linda Webb, because we've always said we didn't want one. We bought a $10 drying rack from Wal Mart and it works out great. As long as I put in fabric softner the clothes aren't wrinkled and I still have storage room on top of the washer (it's a front load) and on the side for the broom, mop & stepstool. Doesn't use much water either. The new front load washers require that HE detergent, which is less sudsy than the rest, kinda hard to find though.
                Jan & Thomas
                2012 Mobile Suite 36RSSB3 #5942
                2012 Ford F350
                Fulltiming since 2006

Comment

washer/dryer

Jan & Thomas, Finally you came around to my way of thinking!
                  Dave & Linda
                  sigpic
                  Sadie, our spoiled poodle
                  2015 RESP4 Mobile Suite
                  2011 F350 DRW

"Each day is a gift"

Comment

The closet has no extra room with both a washer & dryer. But we don't miss the space. There's still room to put a double towel bar on inside of door, so wet towels get dried from dryer heat. Plus we found a hanging w/ 6 hooks that fits on the outside. Holds night clothes, belts, robes & more.

We bought ours at Plow & Hearth, but CW sells the same thing with fewer hooks.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...k/skunum=36212
                    Vickie & David
                    SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
                    Alicia - Custom kitchen
                    2014 F450 KR 4x4
                    Titan 65g tank
                    2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Well It looks like I am a couple of years late with my reply but... I bought a kenmore compact stacked w/d... with a twist... I ordered the gas dryer and converted it to propane and ran a line for it. We have been using it for nearly 3 years and love it. It will dry a load before the next one is finished washing.l was concerned about gas usage but we eat breakfast at home every morning cooked on the gas stove, use the gas water heater, and all our laundry with two nurses working full time. gone about 2 months on a single 40 lb tank of propane.During the winter we get a 100gallon tank and this winter it has lasted the entire winter and still running on it in July. Now we did run electric space heaters but the furnace did get a bit of a workout here in Central Illinois.

Comment

How about some model numbers for the washers & dryers? I'm kind of overwhelmed with searching for a washer & dryer. I sort of like the gas dryer idea.

Thanks!
                        Happy Trails To You

Tom & Cheryl Brockman
                        2015 39DBRS3, 2011 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
                        S.O.I.T.C. Charter Member
                        Retired & Full timing

Comment

washer?dryer

We have Bosch Axxis. Apartment size-24"> Made modifications to electrical as they are 220V. Why use gas if electric is available. New style washers spin so well, the drying does not take near as long and Axxis washer uses very little water. I think 5-7 gallons vs 15-20 for older vertical types. We had Frigidare appartment size before and 1 wash would nearly fill holding tank.
                          Plus I found the pair on "Craigs List" for $700.
                          Bill & Jody
                          2018 Cumberland (modified!)
                          2016 F450 DRW4X hauler

Comment

How is the 220 set up for the dryer? May want to go this way if I can do most of it myself.
                            Thanks,
                            Joe
                            2005 36TK3 #1869
                            2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

If you are mechanically and electrically savvy you can do all the 220 installation yourself.

We have Whirlpool stacking front loaders and could not be happier with them. Bought them at Lowes in 2005 shortly after purchasing the MS. Both have larger tubs than any we found that were supposedly RV units, and we only paid just over 800 bucks for both. The washer is computer controlled to use less water and has five spin speeds on it, clothes come out of the washer needing very little drying, more fluffing than drying.

I have the wiring diagram and pictures on my computer and if you would like to look at them e mail be at [email protected] and put washer/dryer in DRV for the subject so it don't get lost in spam. I will be happy to send them to you. If you don't have broadband, let me know and I will send the pictures one at a time.

I have sent the diagram and pictures out to many over the last four plus years and have helped about ten people install their units. I just do not like 110 volt dryers, and as far as propane is concerned, I would not even have it in the RV but for the need for heat sometimes when we have no power.

Happy RVing.

Comment

Working...
                              X